|Title||Semiconductor devices - Mechanical and climatic test methods - Part 21: Solderability|
|Abstract/Scope||IEC 60749-21:2011 establishes a standard procedure for determining the solderability of device package terminations that are intended to be joined to another surface using tin-lead (SnPb) or lead-free (Pb-free) solder for the attachment. This test method provides a procedure for 'dip and look' solderability testing of through hole, axial and surface mount devices (SMDs) as well as an optional procedure for a board mounting solderability test for SMDs for the purpose of allowing simulation of the soldering process to be used in the device application. The test method also provides optional conditions for ageing. This test is considered destructive unless otherwise detailed in the relevant specification.
NOTE 1 This test method is in general accord with IEC 60068, but due to specific requirements of semiconductors, the following text is applied.
NOTE 2 This test method does not assess the effect of thermal stresses which may occur during the soldering process. Reference should be made IEC 60749-15 or IEC 60749-20.
This standard cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2004 and constitutes a technical revision. The significant change is the inclusion of Pb (lead)-free backward compatibility.
|Current Stage code||6060|
|Current Stage code date||2011-08-19|
|Current Stage code deadline||2012-02-12|
|Deadline date for vote|
|IEC Technical Body||IEC/TC 47|
|Reference Document||IEC 60749-21:2011 (EQV)|
|ICS||31.080.01 - Semiconductor devices in general|
|Keywords||Semiconductor; Mechanical; Climatic; Solderability; Test method|
|Note||Supersedes EN 60749-21:2005|
|Special National Condition(s)|
Categories - Aspects
Product Life Cycle
|date of Ratification (DOR) (1)||2011-05-12|
|date of Availability (DAV) (2)||2011-08-19|
|date of Announcement (DOA) (3)||2011-08-12|
|date of Publication (DOP) (4)||2012-02-12|
|date of Withdrawal (DOW) (5)||2014-05-12|
|Normative reference (6)||
(1) Date of ratification (dor) date when the Technical Board notes the approval of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), from which time the standard may be said to be approved
(2) Date of availability (dav) date when the definitive text in the official language versions of an approved CEN/CENELEC publication is distributed by the Central Secretariat
(3) Date of announcement (doa) latest date by which the existence of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), a TS or a CWA has to be announced at national level
(4) Date of publication (dop) latest date by which an EN has to be implemented at national level by publication of an identical national standard or by endorsement
(5) Date of withdrawal (dow) latest date by which national standards conflicting with an EN (and HD for CENELEC) have to be withdrawn
(6) This list of normative references is purely indicative. The only official list of normative reference is the list of the published standard.