|Title||Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems - Part 2: Requirements for electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems|
|Abstract/Scope||IEC 61508-2:2010 applies to any safety-related system, as defined by IEC 61508-1, that contains at least:
- one electrical, electronic or programmable electronic element;
- applies to all elements within an E/E/PE safety-related system;
- specifies how to refine the E/E/PE system safety requirements specification, developed in accordance with IEC 61508-1, into the E/E/PE system design requirements specification;
- specifies the requirements for activities that are to be applied during the design and manufacture of the E/E/PE safety-related systems except software, which is dealt with in IEC 61508-3.
These requirements include the application of techniques and measures that:
- are graded against the safety integrity level, for the avoidance of, and control of, faults and failures;
- specifies the information necessary for carrying out the installation, commissioning and final safety validation of the E/E/PE safety-related system;
- provides requirements for the preparation of information and procedures needed by the user for the operation and maintenance of the E/E/PE safety-related systems;
- specifies requirements to be met by the organisation carrying out any modification of the E/E/PE safety-related systems.
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1998. This edition constitutes a technical revision. It has been subject to a thorough review and incorporates many comments received at the various revision stages. It has the status of a basic safety publication according to IEC Guide 104.
NEW! Also available: IEC Standards+ 61508:2010, containing all parts, together with a commented Redline version. Changes made in this 2nd edition are highlighted and commented by a leading world expert.
This publication is of high relevance for Smart Grid.
|Current Stage code||6060|
|Current Stage code date||2010-05-28|
|Current Stage code deadline||2011-02-01|
|Deadline date for vote|
|IEC Technical Body||IEC/SC 65A|
|Reference Document||IEC 61508-2:2010 (EQV)|
|ICS||25.040.40 - Industrial process measurement and control|
|Keywords||Safety; Functional safety; Electronic; Programmable|
|Note||Supersedes EN 61508-2:2001|
|Special National Condition(s)|
Categories - Aspects
Product Life Cycle
|date of Ratification (DOR) (1)||2010-05-01|
|date of Availability (DAV) (2)||2010-05-28|
|date of Announcement (DOA) (3)||2010-08-01|
|date of Publication (DOP) (4)||2011-02-01|
|date of Withdrawal (DOW) (5)||2013-05-01|
|Normative reference (6)||ISO/IEC Guide 51
IEC Guide 104
corr. November 2004
corr. July 2005