|Title||Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems - Part 2: Requirements for electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems|
|Abstract/Scope||IEC 61508-2:2010 applies to any safety-related system, as defined by IEC 61508-1, that contains at least:
- one electrical, electronic or programmable electronic element;
- applies to all elements within an E/E/PE safety-related system;
- specifies how to refine the E/E/PE system safety requirements specification, developed in accordance with IEC 61508-1, into the E/E/PE system design requirements specification;
- specifies the requirements for activities that are to be applied during the design and manufacture of the E/E/PE safety-related systems except software, which is dealt with in IEC 61508-3.
These requirements include the application of techniques and measures that:
- are graded against the safety integrity level, for the avoidance of, and control of, faults and failures;
- specifies the information necessary for carrying out the installation, commissioning and final safety validation of the E/E/PE safety-related system;
- provides requirements for the preparation of information and procedures needed by the user for the operation and maintenance of the E/E/PE safety-related systems;
- specifies requirements to be met by the organisation carrying out any modification of the E/E/PE safety-related systems.
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1998. This edition constitutes a technical revision. It has been subject to a thorough review and incorporates many comments received at the various revision stages. It has the status of a basic safety publication according to IEC Guide 104.
NEW! Also available: IEC Standards+ 61508:2010, containing all parts, together with a commented Redline version. Changes made in this 2nd edition are highlighted and commented by a leading world expert.
This publication is of high relevance for Smart Grid.
|Current Stage code||6060|
|Current Stage code date||2010-05-28|
|Current Stage code deadline||2011-02-01|
|Deadline date for vote|
|IEC Technical Body||IEC/SC 65A|
|Reference Document||IEC 61508-2:2010 (EQV)|
|ICS||25.040.40 - Industrial process measurement and control|
|Keywords||Safety; Functional safety; Electronic; Programmable|
|Note||Supersedes EN 61508-2:2001|
|Special National Condition(s)|
Categories - Aspects
Product Life Cycle
|date of Ratification (DOR) (1)||2010-05-01|
|date of Availability (DAV) (2)||2010-05-28|
|date of Announcement (DOA) (3)||2010-08-01|
|date of Publication (DOP) (4)||2011-02-01|
|date of Withdrawal (DOW) (5)||2013-05-01|
|Normative reference (6)||ISO/IEC Guide 51
IEC Guide 104
corr. November 2004
corr. July 2005
(1) Date of ratification (dor) date when the Technical Board notes the approval of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), from which time the standard may be said to be approved
(2) Date of availability (dav) date when the definitive text in the official language versions of an approved CEN/CENELEC publication is distributed by the Central Secretariat
(3) Date of announcement (doa) latest date by which the existence of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), a TS or a CWA has to be announced at national level
(4) Date of publication (dop) latest date by which an EN has to be implemented at national level by publication of an identical national standard or by endorsement
(5) Date of withdrawal (dow) latest date by which national standards conflicting with an EN (and HD for CENELEC) have to be withdrawn
(6) This list of normative references is purely indicative. The only official list of normative reference is the list of the published standard.