|Title||Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems - Part 5: Examples of methods for the determination of safety integrity levels|
|Abstract/Scope||IEC 61508-5:2010 provides information on the underlying concepts of risk and the relationship of risk to safety integrity (see Annex A); a number of methods that will enable the safety integrity levels for the E/E/PE safety-related systems to be determined (see Annexes C, D, E, F and G). The method selected will depend upon the application sector and the specific circumstances under consideration. Annexes C, D, E, F and G illustrate quantitative and qualitative approaches and have been simplified in order to illustrate the underlying principles. These annexes have been included to illustrate the general principles of a number of methods but do not provide a definitive account. Those intending to apply the methods indicated in these annexes should consult the source material referenced. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1998. This edition constitutes a technical revision. It has been subject to a thorough review and incorporates many comments received at the various revision stages.
NEW! Also available: IEC Standards+ 61508:2010, containing all parts, together with a commented Redline version. Changes made in this 2nd edition are highlighted and commented by a leading world expert.
This publication is of high relevance for Smart Grid.
|Current Stage code||6060|
|Current Stage code date||2010-05-28|
|Current Stage code deadline||2011-02-01|
|Deadline date for vote|
|IEC Technical Body||IEC/SC 65A|
|Reference Document||IEC 61508-5:2010 (EQV)|
|ICS||25.040.40 - Industrial process measurement and control|
|Keywords||Safety; Functional safety; Integrity level; Electronic; Programmable|
|Note||Supersedes EN 61508-5:2001|
|Special National Condition(s)|
Categories - Aspects
Product Life Cycle
|date of Ratification (DOR) (1)||2010-05-01|
|date of Availability (DAV) (2)||2010-05-28|
|date of Announcement (DOA) (3)||2010-08-01|
|date of Publication (DOP) (4)||2011-02-01|
|date of Withdrawal (DOW) (5)||2013-05-01|
(1) Date of ratification (dor) date when the Technical Board notes the approval of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), from which time the standard may be said to be approved
(2) Date of availability (dav) date when the definitive text in the official language versions of an approved CEN/CENELEC publication is distributed by the Central Secretariat
(3) Date of announcement (doa) latest date by which the existence of an EN (and HD for CENELEC), a TS or a CWA has to be announced at national level
(4) Date of publication (dop) latest date by which an EN has to be implemented at national level by publication of an identical national standard or by endorsement
(5) Date of withdrawal (dow) latest date by which national standards conflicting with an EN (and HD for CENELEC) have to be withdrawn
(6) This list of normative references is purely indicative. The only official list of normative reference is the list of the published standard.